HOW DOES IT WORK?
Qualifications in Scotland have changed massively over the past few years. Employees can now take a variety of routes to their ideal career, including Further Education, Vocational Qualifications, Professional Development Awards and of course Industry Experience.
In this challenging climate it’s even more important to put the right person with the right skills in the right job.
By using the SCQF levels in recruitment processes, including within the job description and advert, the employer and potential employees can better understand the skills required.
Using SCQF Level 9 as a requirement rather than ‘Degree or Equivalent’ offers clarity around the skills and experience required to do the job and opens up the application process to a wider group of potential employees who may also benefit from work experience rather than only a Degree Qualification.
QUALIFICATIONS RECOGNISED AT SCQF LEVEL 9 INCLUDE:
- Professional Development Awards
- Bachelors/Ordinary Degree
- Graduate Diploma
- Graduate Certificate
- Graduate Apprenticeship
- Technical Apprenticeship
Similarly, using SCQF Level 5 as a requirement within the job description would open the application to potential employees that had O Grade / Standard Grades or National Qualifications 5, NC’s and / or SVQ’s at SCQF 5.
BENEFITS TO EMPLOYERS:
- Access to a diverse talent pool
- Confidence that you can satisfy your skills needs
- Bring new skills and knowledge into your business
- A better understanding of the broad range of Scottish qualifications and how they compare
- Compliance with government policy e.g 2010 Equality Act
BENEFITS TO INDIVIDUALS:
- A clearer understanding of the skills required for the job
- Confidence that you have the skills to make a successful application (saving time when searching vacancies)
- Confidence that you can meet employer expectations
- Assurance that the employer has up-to-date knowledge of qualifications
- Recognition by the employer of a range of relevant qualifications, both academic and vocational
You can find out more information on how to match a job’s skills and knowledge to an SCQF level using the excellent SCQF Employer Levelling Tool. SCQF are also currently promoting “SCQF Inclusive Recruiter” which Employers can sign up to use the SCQF Levels within their job adverts, the process includes attending a training workshop to better understand the Framework.